Re: canada trip-helpers?

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: canada trip-helpers?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:02:27 -0500
At 07:48 PM 8/30/03 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:
>.... my 21 year old son and I are taking the 67B to Canada camping for a
>week or so.

Yeehaa!  Road trip.

>We will be leaving Friday AM. From NE Missouri we will be catching I35 to
>Duluth MN, then 53 to International Falls and 71 to the Sioux Narrows area
>on Lake of the Woods, Ontario. A few days there then towards Winnipeg for
>a few days, then probably head straight south on I29 to Omaha/Council
>Bluffs and across Iowa back home. Haven't had any problems with the 67,
>but could use any helpers names/phone#/city along the route that might be
>willing to help in a pinch.

Uh, how about an escort for a while?  I have been known to carry a few
tools. I haven't been to Kenora for, .... well, at least several years.  I
just put the July newsletter in the mail this morning, and just finished
putting it on the web an hour ago, and nothing important on the calendar
for the next 10 days.

>We have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and Central America but
>have never been to Canada and could use any advise that anyone has to offer,

Well I've been there, and through there, and around there a few times, and
been looking for a good excuse to go North in August again.  Been camping
around Lake of the Woods a Couple of times too.  I can pack a little fising
tackle and a couple of poles.

>especially:
>     Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Canadian

First choice might be a big town bank, if you happen to do business with
one regularly.  But if you're not a regular customer, or don't have one
close by, there may not be much advantage there.  Second choice, and maybe
much more convenient would be at the customs station at the border, going
either direction.  Exchange rates are reasonable there.  When in Canada,
almost any commercial bank will do nicely.  On past trips, it was not much
of a problem spending US currency in Canada.  They like US tourists there,
in general, and most of the commercial establishments are happy to
negotiate US currency (for a moderate fee of course).  But to cover your
own tail in the transctions, you should at least know the proper exchange
rates.  Major bank credit card transactions are generally a no-brainer,
with currency automatically converted on your statement at a reasonable
excahange rate.

>and is there anything I should beware of?

Border crossing hours.  And what kind of coins you need for the laundry
machines.  Tent camping is no problem, can always find a space to pitch a tent.

And you might consider a quick phone call to your auto insurance agent to
see if they can issue a Canadian insurance card (on short notice?).  Things
could get a little iffy if you were in an accident in Canada and had to
post a large bond for damages.  They don't always smile on U.S. issued
insurance cards.

>We are 4 hours from a major city, so will be unable to do this locally. I
>surely can use the MasterCard in Canada, but will need local cash for
>groceries/campground/gas/etc.

MasterCard is good for lots of things, including gas and camping (usually),
definitely boat rentals, and maybe even groceries in the bigger stores.  If
you intentionally use the MC whenever possible, you can get by with
surprisingly little hard currency.  Maybe get a couple hundred at the
border, see how it's doing after a few days, and if needed tap a commercial
bank on the fly.  These days cash advance fees can be pretty steep on
credit cards, but hard currency exchange rates should still be
reasonable.  You can swap back any left over Canadian for US dollars, but
you can save a few fees if you can manage not to have too much left on the
way back.

>I don't use a ATM card enough to even know which one I have, Cirrus I think.

I have one, but I have never used it anywhere outside of my own home bank
building.  I wouldn't count on it being consistently acceptable wherever
you go in Canada.  Better to think about not using it at all.  But it could
work to draw cash similar to a credit card at a commercial bank (maybe).

>Neither of us are fisherman, but we will be taking a small amount of
>equipment and maybe rent a boat for a day-suggestions on fishing equipment
>or boating on Lake of the Woods?

You can rent boats by the hour or by the day in Kenora.  A 20hp outboard is
good for fishing if you aren't going too far out on the lake.  Maybe it
depends some on whether you want to catch fish, or just fish, or just go
for a spin on the lake. If you get bored, rent a ski boat for a few hours.

>Has anyone done any white water rafting in this area, if so do you have a
>contact?

Been WW rafting in several places, but not in that area.  Look for
brochures at visitor centers, maybe call ahead up to one day before you get
there.  Usually no problem catching a seat on a rafting trip wirth a few
hours notice.  If they get more people on short notice they can usually
just throw another boat in the river.

>As my dad always says "take everyones advise, then sort out what you can use".

Of course that only works when you can figure out what you can use (and
what not).

If I head due west from Naperville (Chicago) I can be in Des Moines in
about 5 hours.  Going northwest I can easily go through St Paul and/or
Duluth with an hour or two less total travel time.  Someplace you'd like to
meet, maybe?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a wanderlust)
http://MGAguru.com