RE: Something missing update

To: "Carter Tuggle" <goutvols2@mchsi.com>, "mgs list"
Subject: RE: Something missing update
From: "J. Barry Waterland" <artforu@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:45:53 -0700
Carter,

Sounds like the timing is off. Take off the rocker box cover, and
distributor cap, push the car back, put the car in 4th gear and pull it
towards you until both valves on #1 cylinder are closed (and you can rock
the rocker arms). Check that the timing mark is around 7-10 BTDC, and that
the rotor arm is pointing to spark plug lead #1. If not the timing is off,
and you will need to slacken the distributor clamp and rotate the
distributor SLOWLY - clockwise to advance, and anti-clockwise to retard the
ignition so that the point just start to open at that point.

It's hard to tell so use a test bulb on a wire, or a simple circuit tester
between the distributor lead and a suitable ground. As you pull the car
forward, with the ignition on, the light should come on just as the timing
marks are lined up. Make sure also that that the leads are in correct order
of 1-3-4-2 starting from the #1 lead.

Barry Waterland
Duarte, CA
1977 "B" BRG Roadster