Small Top

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Small Top
From: "Bill Collier" <wmcollier@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:35:12 -0700
I appreciate all the input on the type of adhesive to use on the header rail
of my MGB.

I discovered an interesting fact when I started the installation.
The top had shrunk!
Stretching the material to the windshield left the rain channels at least an
inch back
from the header.
I left the top in the trunk of a spare car for over a year to be sure it was
not damaged.
Could the heat reached in a Texas trunk cause a top to shrink?
OK. For whatever reason it is now smaller than it should be. Is there a fix?
If I unbolt the top frame from the body and attach the top with the rain
channels
reaching the header rail, will it stretch back out to proper size or am I
going to rip it when
I raise it. (If I can). Porter warns against tightening the top so much that
raising it in winter
could become a 3 person task.

If you have tried to install a "shrunk" top before, let me know what worked.
The top is only the basic Moss economy top but I would much rather spend the
$225 on other restoration parts than
buy another top.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Collier