Re: Dead 1974 MGB - Quiz

To: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Dead 1974 MGB - Quiz
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:13:05 US/Mountain
I can confirm by experience that if one carb is running improperly, the
car will run badly - and may not run at all.  I had this happen on a drive
back from the colorado conclave last year.  I had problems on the drive
from the show through the Eisenhower tunnel - at which point I just
couldn't continue to move at any speed over 5 mph (well, except by
coasting, which I did to the bottom of the mountain).  I spent about 8
hours trying to diagnose the problem, thought it was a carb, but couldn't
find it, and chased everything else (valves, ignition, etc.).  Finally out
of desperation, I blocked one carb, and the car ran better (there is a
balance tube, you know).  So, I disconnected the linkages connecting the
two carbs, and drove home on one carb - worked just fine.  Didn't climb
hills quite as well, or accelerate as hard, but I could still outrun my
friend in his triumph (which was leaking oil badly -especially at high
rpm, and he wouldn't take it over 3000rpm), and it still would go freeway
speeds.  Lesson learned - redundancy is good, redundancy is good - at
least on critical systems.  This is one reason that batch fired injection
may be an advantage over sequential injection on modern cars.

This was on my MGA.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB
'58 MGA

> Hmmm, twin carbs so would still run (badly) if one were faulty.
Centrifugal