Testing an Overdrive

To: james.harwood@sbcglobal.net, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Testing an Overdrive
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:58:11 -0600
Greetings,

Early 3 syncro MGBs were fitted with D Type Overdrives and later 4
syncro MGBs have LH Type O/Ds.  Aside from testing the electrical
operation which controls the solenoid (to move the hydraulic operating
valve) the primary test is to measure the oil pressure while turning the
gearbox / OD either with the car's engine (exciting) or a small gasoline
or electric motor on a test stand.  An oil pressure gauge and connecting
adapter fittings / hoses, etc. is needed to measure the oil pressure -
different adapters are needed depending on if you have an A or D Type
(same configuration), J Type, or LH Type O/D.  Initially for my own use
( I have a '64 TR4 w/ A Type O/D) I made up a pressure gauge and had the
adapter fitting machine shop work done in some quantity to lower the
unit cost.  Subsequently other people asked me to make up O/D Oil
Pressure Gauge sets for the other ( J & LH ) types of O/Ds - which I did
- and I've offered them for sale.  Details can be found at (although the
LH type gauge set is not shown it's the same as the J Type with an
different adapter fitting):

http://www.geocities.com/jholekamp/index.html

Pls let me know if you need more information

brgds, Jay Holekamp

Wheaton, IL