Freeze Plugs

To: mgs@autox.team.net, MGVR@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Freeze Plugs
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:48:14 EDT
Due to cooling problems (bad hose, bad radiator are possibilities being
explored) last race weekend, I blew out a freeze plug in my MGA. The good news
was
that the plug that blew was the one nearest the distributor, which
instantaneously shut down the engine, precluding any more damage.

My question now is: When I replace the freeze plug, should I just do it
according to the manual, using a standard plug peened into place, or should I
fasten it in with a screw retainer as has been recommended by some of the race
mechanics? All opinions appreciated.

Cheers
Gary