Re: Freeze Plugs

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Freeze Plugs
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:02:33 -0500
At 12:37 PM 6/7/04 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>on 6/7/04 10:48 AM, Editorgary@aol.com wrote:
> > .... When I replace the freeze plug, should I just do it according to
> the manual, using a standard plug peened into place, or should I fasten
> it in with a screw retainer ....
>
>I dunno, it looks to me that using a screw retainer would defeat an
>important safety feature...

CAUTION (or even a WARNING to some people).  A core plug is not a "freeze
plug".  This is a misnomer which carries a very bad inference.   The core
plug was never intended to blow out under any curcumstances, and is
definitely not guaranteed to protect the engine block in the case of
freezing.  Securing it against blow out is not defeating a safety feature.

I would not personally ever bother with bar and screw retainers for a
street engine.  But for a no holds barred race engine where you can spend
some extra time and money for a little extra assurance against a "possible"
problem, it may be worth the effort.

For more information read this:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_105.htm

Barney Gaylord