Re: Overdrive flakiness question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive flakiness question
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:20:13 -0700
Just to add a thought to Paul's note......

I once worked on a B which had an overdrive that would not engage. There was
power to the gearbox switch and I did a continuity check on the switch and
it showed the switch to be good. After several hours of changing parts (on
the assumption the problem was in the overdrive itself) and still having no
engagement, I put a voltmeter on the gearbox switch. 12 volts going in, 4
volts coming out! Enough to show continuity on an ohm-meter but not enough
to operate the solenoid. I always check switches with a voltmeter now,
rather than an ohm-meter.....

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center