Front suspension repair and rusted bolts

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front suspension repair and rusted bolts
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:37:20 -0400
I now have a garage, so I finally started on the front suspension repair for my
1980 MGB.  So far I've jacked up the car and removed the wheels, which wasn't
too bad.  I tried removing the bolts holding on the brake calipers, but they're
rusted.  I soaked them with B'laster, but they're still stuck.  I wanted to
check with the list before pulling out my propane torch to see if there's
anything I should remove first.  I wasn't sure if I should remove the rubber
rebound bumper for the flexible brake line, or if I should clean off the old
greasy gunk before lighting the flame.

Any other suggestions for taking these pieces apart, or other parts I'll wind
up replacing?  I've got the Proper MG front suspension kit and the Brit-Tek
major brake kit already, so I have a lot of new (or rebuilt) parts waiting to
go on as soon as I can get the rusty ones off the car.  I'm trying to resist
the urge to use the reciprocating saw.

Thanks for the help.  Now that the weather is getting warm, my seven-year-old
daughter is already bugging me to get the car fixed.

--Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)