Re: Tonneau Choice For 1974 MGB

To: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Tonneau Choice For 1974 MGB
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:22:07 -0600
Paul is quite correct (as always). I have a tonneau cover for my 72B, the
one for headrests. During the two year restoration of my 72B, my son used
the cover on his 65B. All he had to do was relocate the one lift-the-dot
fastener piece on the front of the cover. I think he moved it down about 2"
as I recall. When I finished restoring my 72B, I took my tonneau cover back
and put the fastener back in its original spot. So yes, they should be
easily interchangeable. And I would suspect that with a new cover, you
would have to add the fasteners anyway if they are sold like the soft tops
where you have to add them on for the final fit.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

At 11:44 AM 8/6/2004 +0100, Paul Hunt wrote:
>The mounting points moved from the extreme edges of the dash top
>(lift-the-dot), to the bottoms of the windscreen pillars to by the front
>drop-glass channel on the door (both press studs) at various times.  I think
>the rears round the cockpit rail were all the same, although the lower
>fastenings onto the heel-board also differed between two and four
>fastenings.  It all depends on where *your* front fastenings are, the
>heel-board differences are less of an issue.  I have the dash top
>lift-the-dot posts and got a shop-soiled tonneau cover with windscreen
>press-studs but it was an easy matter to sew on a couple of strips with
>lift-the-dot sockets.  The other curious thing is that the middle
>lift-the-dot post on mine was dead centre, but the old and new covers have
>the zip near the centre and the post off-set.  When rebuilding it was a
>simple matter to swivel the post through 180 degrees and drill a new hole
>for the other screw, which put the post in the correct place.
>
>PaulH.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: