Re: tires

To: jello@ida.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tires
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
You have a few options depending on what you want. If you wish to keep the
older 165 size for originality and vintage look then you can get Kumho and the
Vredsteins at Talon Tire in Canada for less. The Kumho 758 is available for $61
each (USD). If you do not care about the size and want something that will fit
your original tire size (155/80/14) then the 175/70/14 will be a perfect fit
but the 185 fits just as well with no rubbing and the speedo diff is
negligable. Many places, the Tire Rack being the one mentioned the most offers
good tires for the $40 plus range. this has been a topic of discussion on the
MGB Experience BBS this week. It was found that Sam's has a Dunlop SP40 185/70
S14 for $36. This way you can still have authentic Dunlops on your Brit car.
Carl French
Running Dunlop SP20 in 165/r15's on wires on my 67B

jello@ida.net wrote:
I don't really need a lot of info here - I've been the tire route before,
but thought people may want the info. My Avon Turbosteel 165SR14 84S
tires on my MGB are wearing thin. I bought these locally and easily some
4 or 5 years ago at about $40 or $50 a tire. I went to the same tire
store to get similar, and they listed no tires that size available through
normal supply chains. They also list no tires close to that total
diameter until you get to a 185 width, and with wire wheels, I have seen
185 width tires being gauged by fenders. Indication was to go to a
vintage tire supplier (such as Coker, or British Wire Wheel). I did that,
and ended up with Veredestein's (sp?) the right size from Britsh Wire
Wheel - but they're $78 each + shipping + surcharges for shipping tires.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: