Front suspension replacement saga progress report

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front suspension replacement saga progress report
From: "Steve Shoyer" <steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:07:30 -0400
After two months of effort (on and off), I finally got the fulcrum pin
off!  I had gotten the spring out a while ago (thanks again for the
phone call, Ed!) and I tried a number of tools and techniques (thanks
again to everyone who made suggestions).  A combination of Dremel,
grinder, torch, fire extinguisher, slide hammer, hacksaw, Vice Grips,
hammer, PBlaster, tie rod puller, C-clamp, and Sam Adams finally did the
trick.  The hacksaw was actually the most effective tool.

Now I'm wondering about the shock absorber.  The lever arm has some
lateral play in it; is this OK, or did I use the hammer too much?  There
doesn't seem to be much resistance when I raise and lower the arm, so I
don't know if I just need to add fluid or just remove it and get a
rebuilt pair.  As much as I'd like to get the new kingpin in place, I
don't want to do the job twice.

--Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: