Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Front sway bar mounts - still not loosening
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:28:28 -0400
The bolts holding up the front sway bar are still just spinning in
place.  My assumption is that either 1) there's a captive nut in the
chassis leg that's now freely spinning, or 2) the bolts are stripped.  I
tried jamming a pry bar under the bolt as I turned it, but that didn't
seem to help.  I also tried using a vice grips to pull down on the bolt
as I twisted, and again, it didn't help.  I removed the front bumper (RB
car) in the hopes of sliding some kind of bar through the chassis leg to
either lever down on the bolt or wedge against the captive nut to hold
it in place while I twist the bolt.  However, I didn't realize that
there's a plate (the bumper mounting end plate) blocking access (again,
assuming that the chassis leg is hollow.

Any suggestions?  Is it worth drilling through the plate to get access
into the chassis leg?  Hopefully someone out there has run into and
resolved this problem.

Thanks.

--Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: