Re: Dementia or Addiction ??

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dementia or Addiction ??
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:33:18 EST
In a message dated 03/12/2004 9:44:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Here's a  question for everyone.  Exactly what makes you either own or desire
a  particular car (for street use) ??
For me, its completely  balanced sensory input.  The car has to provide the
perfect balance of  feel, handling, throttle response, power, & looks.  Have
never been  able to afford a good, perfectly balanced car with lots of power.
Must  be good looking enough to make me want to look at it (at least from 1 or
2  angles :-).  Perfect throttle response has priority over lots of  power.
If an automatic, must be able to make it up the hill at cruise  speed, without
downshifting.  Cannot keep breaking down once I've sorted  it.  There has to
be quality parts available.

____________________________________

I own my MGA Twincam race car because I like  just about everything about it
on the track - great handling, excellent braking  and an engine so far beyond
the pushrod as to be in a totally different  class.

I own my MGA 62 Deluxe coupe because I like the  looks of the much
under-appreciated coupe body, and because it offers quite good  long distance
cruising
in an MG, without being all beat at the end of a day's  driving.

I own the MGC convertible (I have a hard time  calling anything with wind-up
windows a roadster) because giving it to my wife  as a surprise birthday
present was one of my most brilliant ideas, and has  reduced the level of
carping
about MY car related activities  considerably!

I own my 1963 TVR race car because it seemed  like a good idea at the time to
have everything I had in my MGA race car, but  with less weight and all
independent suspension. My grand plan to alternate the  cars and race one for a
couple of years and then switch foundered on a schedule  that became much
busier
than I'd planned on (anyone want a nice vintage  racer?)

I own my 71 Interceptor because there are few  nicer long distance touring
cars - I've done 1000 miles in one day and didn't  feel as tired as I would
from
500 miles in an open car. It will cruise all day  at 100 mph plus (where
conditions permit, of course).

I own my 1965 Jensen CV-8 because it is a truly  unusual strange looking
beast that is 700 lbs. lighter than the Interceptor  (fibreglass body), and
with a
somewhat improved c. 370 BHP engine (sixpack)  offers truly surprising
performance for a 60s car, although without the  refinement of the Interceptor,
which is slower but smoother.

I own my 1969 Lamborghini Islero because there  are some things you just
can't resist and while it is in the same general grand  touring class as the
Jensens, neither of them has 12 cylinders, nor will they  allow you to shift at
7800 RPM. Enough said.

I own my 1988 Fiero GT because I was attracted  to the Americans actually
doing something interesting for a change (mid-engine),  and 300 BHP (very
non-stock) in a stock looking car combined with  decent mileage is a winning
combination. I just repainted it and intend to keep  it, as nothing else out
there
these days seems to offer as much power and fun  for anything like the price.

2004 Pontiac Montana minivan - SWMBO needs  something to drive and I need
something to tow the race car and run around  picking up parts for everything
else. This does both.

So that's 58 cylinders and a bit more than 2100  BHP, all chosen for maximum
utility or enjoyment.

Bill