Re: wire wheels

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheels
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 10:14:07 -0700
on 5/4/05 3:47 AM, Paul Hunt at paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Price for 60 stainless spokes and nipples here is about 80 quid, so whoever
> is charging 478 dollars is really extracting the urine!  The local tyre
> place removes and replaces the tyre for me for no charge (at least I give
> them some beer money, Hans :o)) and a wheel rebuilder elsewhere changes
> spokes (usually need one or two per year) for a fiver.  Only takes him five
> minutes, so I'm thinking of trying to get the appropriate tool and an old
> wheel to practice on.  Any idea what is involved, tool-wise?
>
> PaulH.

I have replaced many spokes. The only essential tool is the spoke wrench. I
have to take the wheel to a shop first to break loose the tire bead, though
-- I have never managed to do that myself with hand tools. I have heard that
if you drive gently over the tire as it is lying flat on the ground it can
break it loose, but I've actually never tried that.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149