Re: Resistive Cable

To: "Wil Clark" <wilc@unt.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Resistive Cable
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:31:00 +0100
Both the coil and the resistor *will* get hot when the ignition is on and
the engine is stopped, hotter than when the engine is running.  This is
because with the engine running the points are open for nearly half the
time, hence half the average current and half the heating effect.  There are
also dynamic effects that reduce it still further, the average current
consumption stopped is given as 3.9 amps, but running it is only 1.4 amps.
You should not leave the ignition on with the engine stopped, unless you
disconnect the coil.  I've forgotten a couple of times and it wouldn't start
until I had cooled the coil down with wet cloths.

PaulH.