Re: wire wheels

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheels
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:55:17 -0700
on 5/27/05 9:44 AM, S. Allen at sallen3663@gmail.com wrote:

> That's new school with computerized balancers.  Old school shops put
> the wheel on hand spinners, no hardware required.

You still need to attach the wheel to the chuck somehow. It's the inverted
cone needed to seat the knock-off hub properly that nobody has. You can't
center a knock-off hub using the inside of the hole -- that's the "whole"
problem. A motorcycle shop would have no need for this adapter.

> The weights wrap around the spokes instead of attaching to the rims.

That doesn't sound good to me. It would certainly look "old school", I
suppose.

> Haven't had to have it done since my father got rid of his TA back in
> '95 so I wonder how many are still out there...
>
> And like I said, my father swore by them, especially if you had an
> inner tube to deal with too, (as t-types do).

The inner tube is no problem, Even I can wrangle an inner tube, and any shop
can mount/unmount the tire (how gently is the question). But balancing
remains the issue. It doens't matter what method you use to balance -- if
the wheel isn't centered and secured properly, you're wasting your time.

You know, an idea just occurred to me -- if you had a machine shop machine
the inner surface of the hub lip to be perfectly concentric, then your
run-of-the-mill shop *could* balance the wheel. That would probably actually
be worth it -- you'd save that much in tire wear in a couple of years
(compared to running around with unbalanced tires). I might look into
that...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149