Re: Unloading and installing a four-post lift

To: Steve@shoyer.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unloading and installing a four-post lift
From: LBCarCoMail@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:17:35 EDT
Steve,

We get trucks and heavy pallets in here all the time and since I work out of
my house have to unload them ourselves too.  Some have been in the 1000's of
pounds too.  The responsibility of the truck company is to get it to the back
of the truck and nothing more.  But in 6 years of doing this I don't ever
recall a driver that would not at least help and in some cases they bring it up
the door.

What I would do is to call the trucking company once you know who is
delivering it (get the name and bill of lading number (pro number) from the
shipper.
Call them and tell them you are a residential delivery and see if they can
provide a lift gate (many companies have these on some of their trucks though
there may be an extra $25 charge for it).  If so they can put it on that and
lower
it to the ground.  Also see if they have what is called  a pallet jack.  This
is something like a floor jack but has two arms that go under the pallet and
then lifts it up.  It has wheels and you can usually roll it then to your
garage.  The driver will normally help with this, but if your drive is steep
they
may not and it may not even be possible to roll it up the drive if it is that
steep.

But one you have it off the truck you can then open the pallet and take the
items out one by one and use a hand truck or even two (one on each end) to get
the items up the drive with the help of a friend or friends.  You most likely
will not need to rent anything if you have a least two hand carts.

Hope this helps some.

Jeff

In a message dated 7/16/2005 9:21:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,