Re: Unloading and installing a four-post lift

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: Unloading and installing a four-post lift
From: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:08:29 -0400
Steve:

In reading over the many suggestions, you may be facing overkill with
respect to what will likely turn out to be little problem at all.

I received a 4-post lift from Eagle delivered to my front yard.  The
task was then to get it off the truck and down 40 feet of driveway in to
my garage.  I prepared with a cherry picker/crane/engine lift to pluck
it off the back of the truck.  Mine came in the back of a closed 40'
trailer.

The packaging of mine consisted of the two ramps bolted to disposable
steel end plates to form the "box" with all the various beams inside.
With the cooperation of the driver, I was able to disassemble the major
pieces in the truck and remove them one at a time.  The two of us were
able to carry the ramp, so I can't believe it was as much as 400 pounds
per.  I was going to place these on my pickup truck from the back of the
semi, but it wasn't necessary.

All the rest of the pieces were not much of a problem.  The entire
unloading effort took less than 30 minutes.

The worst that happens is if it can't come off, it will return to the
terminal and you can pick it up there.  Or you can ask that it be held
at the terminal for your pickup.  The terminal guys have been very
accommodating with me to get the piece on my truck or trailer.  I have
picked up a rotisserie, a band saw, an engine block and a large tig
welder this way.  They come around with fork lifts and place it where
you need it.  Then you can unload at your leisure.

After my lift was all unloaded and sitting on my garage floor, I felt a
little foolish for anticipating a much worse time of it.  Also, my wife
and I assembled the thing in the better part of a day.