Wiring 79 B (long)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiring 79 B (long)
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:48:49 -0500
I'm finally getting around to finishing the new wiring harnesses on my 79 B
and have a few questions.  First, I should let you know that the DPO had a
wiring fire and had cobbled evrything back together, clipped wires, ran jumper
wires all over, etc., so merely replacing new wires for old wires is a recipe
for disaster.  The 45DE4 had been replaced with a 45D4 and a Lucas Sport Coil
was used.  I'm thinking that I will keep the 45D4 because of the problems with
the 45DE4.  I bought a Pertronix 6V (1.5 ohm) coil because I would like to go
back to the ballasted system for better starting.  After getting the new
wiring installed and tested, hopefully with all the smoke still intact in the
wires, I will be installing a Pertronix Ignitor

1)  In the new harness there are 2 white/lt. green wires put together with a
black, hard plastic female spade terminal that I think goes to the coil +ve,
right?  There are also 2 white/black wires coming out of the harness in the
same spot and put together with a soft, clear plastic covered male spade
terminal.  I would think that these wires would go to the coil -ve terminal,
but male doesn't work with the male (insert your own tasteless gay joke here)
coil terminal.  Is this the right place for these wires?  If not, where do
they go and what should be connected to the coil -ve?  (I did find one place
on this harness that was assembled wrong -- the triple in-line connector to
the heater blower motor had the wires placed in the wrong order in the new
connector.)

2)  There is a white and a white/blue coming out of the harness near the coil.
I think these should be for a separate ballast resistor, but not needed with
the 45D4, correct?

3)  There is a triple in-line connector that I believe should be hooked to the
stock 45DE4 dizzy -- white, white/blue and white/black.  With the ballasted
system and 45D4, I'm thinking that the white/blue is not needed and the white
and white/black should be combined to the dizzy?

4)  There is a brown/blue (or possibly brown/purple -- I'm a bit color blind)
coming out of the harness by itself near the ignition relay.  I have no idea
where it goes and can't seem to find it on the wiring diagrams.  Hints?

5)  When I install the Pertronix, does the black still go to (6v, 1.5 0hm)
coil -ve and the red to 12v ignition-switched power -- like maybe that white
intended for the second ballast resistor?

Finally (at last), a couple of what-the-heck-is-that-thing questions.  Near
the ignition relay is a milky white 1/4 x 3/4 x 2 1/4 plastic thingy
(technical term here) with two brown going in and two brown coming out.
What's that?  Just a wire connector?

Mounted on the inside firewall, driver's side, there is a short blue cylinder
with a black wire going to what I believe is the gauge voltage stabilizer.  I
think it should be a ground of some sort, but what is the cylinder?

Thanks for reading this whole tome.  Thanks even more if you answer my rookie
questions.

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."