Piston Rings and Cam question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston Rings and Cam question
From: "Steve Clifton" <sclifton@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:54:16 -0500
Am replacing the piston rings on my 72 MGB with standard size rings
manufactured by AE.

My question to the list is about the oil control rings.  The expander exerts a
lot more outward pressure to the steel rails against the cylinder walls than I
would have expected (having never replaced the rings on this car).  Of course
these are new rings and freshly honed cylinder walls which will present some
extra new resistance while turning the crank over by hand.  I was wondering if
this is what to expect.

The instructions state :

"Ensure that the groove has sufficient depth by passing the assembled ring to
the back of the grove. The rails should not stand proud of the piston skirt."

What does "proud of the piston skirt" mean?

For the cam, are there any recommendations for tried and true cam upgrades to
the 18V engine?  The web lists dozens of different possibilities.  Not looking
for a race car, just trying to help my tired old car without breaking the
bank.  Any comments on regrinds, new, etc?

Thanks much,

Steve C.

72 MGB
(28 years of ownership)