RE: Engine running too cold

To: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine running too cold
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:45:42 -0700
You may want to verify your gauge is corect first. Just check your coolant
tempature after its warmed up. With my BGT, in temperatures as cold as 20
below zero F, I found that I only had to cover a little over a third of the
radiator to maintain coolant temperatures at 190 F. I've never tried covering
the oil cooler. I used a sheet of flat cardboard, a solid sheet maybe a
milimeter thick, not the corrugated stuff used in boxes. I mention that
because previously on this list there was a few people concerned about
moisture causing the cardboard to disintegrate.

Even with the temperature warm enough to move the gauge off the L, you should
still feel a warming of the air from the heater. Mine never really put out
good heat - when it does get fairly warm, the blower still does not blow hot
air out in great quantity. If you aren't seeing somewhat warm air after the
guage shows the coolant is warming, there may be a problem with the heater
core. I had that problem with my 71BGT so I finally ended up pulling out the
heater core and cleaning it out. It was plugged or just coated with enough
crud to keep the heat transfer to a minimum. I used oxalic acid, aka "radiator
flush" or "radiator cleaner" from the usual auto parts store. It is a
crystaline solid so I mixed it with water and poured it in the heater core.  I
then heated the core on a gas stove (because I wasn't married yet so I could
do this kind of stuff). A few rinses and the heater core was as good as new.

Even a B can keep you moderately warm in below zero temps so long as you
maintain maximum coolant temperatures, have good heat transfer with the heater
core, and you minimize the many holes that allow outside air in (like cable
holes for speedometer cable and choke cable, ventilation flap, various leaks
in the top).

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B