Re: MGB Exhaust Sound

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Exhaust Sound
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:27:22 -0800
At the prices they charge for these setups, the economics look pretty
terrifying -- 3 or 4 years? Ack. Good argument for a stainless system, I
suppose.

My 66 B seems to be on the original headpipe and front muffler, if you can
believe that (at least it isn't any older or rustier-looking now than it was
18 years ago, which was plenty). A few years back it started developing
pinholes near the Y, which fact becomes apparent when driving near a wall to
the left -- the sound becomes much louder as it reflects back to the driver.

I have another complete stock system donated by a fellow enthusiast, not
nearly as old or rusty, which I have yet to install since it needs a weld
repair at a junction. I suppose I should just install it first, and drive to
the exhaust shop... it was the impracticalities of getting the thing to the
shop that was deterring me (all in one piece it is a very awkward package).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149