Re: Starter Motor Disengages Too Easily / The Solution

To: mgs@autox.team.net, h.duinhoven@planet.nl, mjaco@xs4all.nl,
Subject: Re: Starter Motor Disengages Too Easily / The Solution
From: Bert Palte <palte@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:41:11 +0100
Well, it turned out to be quite simple, after all.

Before reassembling the engine to the gearbox, I had already checked
the ring gear- that seemed to be OK.
I had already done what has been suggested by Paul, i.e. to check the timing.
Next, I cleaned the spiral gear- that was in all likelihood the
culprit, as the starter gear did NOT move freely
- in fact, it was pretty difficult to move it.
Full of expectations I put the starter  back into place in the engine
compartment - alas, to no avail!
The problem remained.

I went to a shop where I knew they used to rebuild alternators and
starter motors etc. until about 25 years ago
(they don't do that any more, it is nowadays cheaper to sell a new
one) and spoke to one of the older guys there.

It was immediately clear to him when he saw the starter motor - I
failed to see it, or, rather, I did not recognize it,
simply not knowing what to look for.
The gear teeth were chamfered over about 5 mm of a total of 20 mm length.
He brought me a new gear where the teeth are only chamfered over
about 1 mm and told me the old gear had worn out.

And  yes, I put the new gear in and the starter motor works just fine now.
Problem solved!