Re: Replacing rear springs - where to jack?

To: Steve@shoyer.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing rear springs - where to jack?
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:41:33 -0500
Steve:

I have done this on my 4-post lift.  I jack it like Bob described, more or less,
relying on a bridge made from doubled 2x6 lumber.  Instead of jack stands,
though, I use a pair of scissor jacks.  This permits me to move the whole thing
as needed.  For safety, I use Chox-Blox to securely hold the front wheels
stationary, and I have it raised high enough to slide the road wheels under the
sills just in case those scissors jacks move.  The ones I have, though, are
quite large and are stable.  I have done the same thing with jack stands (with
wood blocks) at the front spring hangers, but they make it a bit crowded.  For
jacking it up at the axle, I use bottle jacks under each side at the plate under
the axle at the u-bolts, again depending on my 2x6 bridge.

Another lift thing: I made a short saw horse out of 2" square steel tubing,
about .100 wall, that is sized so the legs rest on the edges that support the
jack bridge.  The overall height of this horse is about 10 inches.  The cross
piece is wider than the legs so it extends over the ramps on each side.  From
there, I can place blocks on that to hold the car up similar to as described by
Bob.

Jim