Testing dynamo output MGA 1600 MKII

To: jxnichols@sbcglobal.net (Jeffrey Nichols), tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Testing dynamo output MGA 1600 MKII
From: "Pat Harris - \"sammler\"" <sammler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:28:07 -0400
How do I test the output of the dynamo?  I have an extra dynamo which is
sitting on the workbench.  Compressed air directed on the vanes of the
pulley allow me to "run it up".  Where should I connect a voltmeter to
check the output.  I've connected across the terminals but the output
measures only up to a volt or so.  I have a good, working generator on
the car and when connecting in a similar manner (after disconnecting the
dynamo wires from the harness) and increasing the engine speed I get
this same low readings. Voltmeter is set to the DC 20v scale.

Thanks,
Pat