Re: [Mgs] 1972 MGB GT V8 Race Car

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1972 MGB GT V8 Race Car
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:29:39 +0930
Max Heim wrote:
> OK... I take it Group 8 is a class for V8 hot rods? I wonder how competitive
> this would be, versus 5-liter Fords and Chevies...
>
> I don't think SVRA operates out here in CA. Oh, I see they run HGP at
> Infineon, is all.

Good, then send it out to Australia to race against this guy in the
links I sent previously.

http://www.plantperformance.com.au/Motorsport.htm

"Plant Performance Group are pleased to be able to support Mort
Fitzgerald and his MGB V8 race car. The MG is often acclaimed as being
the fastest MG in the world with near 500HP and less than 1000kg. The MG
can be seen racing in the Victorian Circuit Racing Series in both the MG
and Sports car categories. "

We have a specific MG Class in the Victorian Circuit Racing Series that
is very well participated in - but then those cars, as appropriate, step
out into other classes.  I would be interested to see what it would race
against in America.

I call it the Cobra killer because I have seen it have a decent go at a
Cobra with a V8 Supercar engine.

I did a quick Google and came up with this lovely quote.

"In analysing the times on Natsoft the Fitzgerald MGB V8 and Punshon
Cobra would have placed about midfield in the F5000 races".

Wouldn't you like an MGB that can run with those dogs?  F5000 - open
wheelers on slicks?

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia