Re: [Mgs] Draining Radiator

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>,mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com, MG List
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Draining Radiator
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 08:30:56 -0500
At 05:00 AM 9/3/2009 -0700, Dan DiBiase wrote:
>I need to drain the radiator on my '76 B .... radiator doesn't have
>a petcock .... if I just have to remove the lower hose ....

Yup, that's it, disconnect the lower hose.

There is another possible way, but only if you're very lucky.  You
can try draining the engine block.  The petcock or plug is on right
side near the back, just aft of the distributor.  The port is usually
clogged making the valve useless.  You may have to remove the valve,
same as you would remove a plug, and the port will likely still be
clogged.  Use a piece of heavy wire or rod held in a locking pliers
(ViceGrip) to route around in the port, aiming the working end of the
rod upward about 30 degrees.  If you get lucky you might clear the
port enough to drain the coolant from the block.  That would get the
coolant level down to the bottom of the water jacket, below the water
pump, so you can change the water pump.

Al that said, the '76 B still had the radiator close to the fan, so
you likely still have to remove the radiator to change the water pump
anyway, and disconnecting the bottom hose is still the way to drain
the radiator.