Re: [Mgs] MGA sputtering engine and bad replacement parts

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA sputtering engine and bad replacement parts
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:18:58 -0600
Simon Matthews wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I have suggested on s3veral occasions on this mailing list that
> condensers should not be replaced unless they have failed. There is
> plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that condensers have a high
> early failure rate, but  those that survive early failure will last
> for a long time (many decades).
>
> Hence, by routinely replacing condensers, you are much more likely to
> have a condenser fail, because you risk the early failure of your
> newly replaced condenser.
Let me add to this excellent advice: If your points don't cavitate, building up
a hill on one point and a hole in the other, your condenser is the right value.
Condensers are usually all over the scale in value; if yours is not doing this,
its value is right on. This is like pure gold; don't ever replace one that's
not doing this. Chances are the new one will start deteriorating the points,
since the chance that it's the right value is pretty slim.

-The Roxter