Re: Tires

To: morgans@autox.team.net, jblair@nhr.com
Subject: Re: Tires
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:30:50, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

John, If by " coming Unglued" you mean violate shimmy, the problem is
in one of two places.
1. The damper blades are worn, loose  or broken. Many Morgan owners
think they simply need to adjust the slack in the blades but if you
pull the blade off the car and look at the chassis end you will find
the edges worn. Trying to take up the slack will only cause the blade
to bind ( if the shims real tight) or  loosen up the shins ( if loose).
Replacement is the only answer.
2 Worn front bushings . To test for this  jack the front wheel up, grab
the wheel at 6 and 12 O'clock and rock the tire.

Most Morgan owners I Know usually go 25,000 to 30,000 miles between
front end rebuild but I've always found that 15,000 miles is the point
where the wear causes shimmy.

Re the tires, the cars came with Dunlop bias tires 560 or 600 X 15. If
you go to bias tires expect to lose quite a bit of handling and  a much
worst ride.

Re Concours: Most open concours have Judges who Know very little
regarding Morgans and often end up deducting points for doing the way
the factory did it rather than the way every one else does. Case in
point,I new a guy who found some of the paper tape the factory used the
tie the fender light wire to the fender support. He was so proud of the
accuracy of his restoration until he found points deducted for not
using the "proper wire ties,

Re Front end alignment : You can only set the toe in on a Morgan. This
is easier and much safer to do at Home than trusting a shop. I once had
a alignment shop tell me they wee going to bend the front suspension
tubes to correct the negative camber !!!!
Hope this helps

Bob Nogueira
64 Plus 4
62 Plus4 DHC
74 MGBGT
----- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Saturday, 20-Apr-96 06:29 PM
>
> From: John T. Blair            \ Internet:    (jblair@nhr.com)
> To:   Bob Nogueira             \ PRODIGY:     (NKED65A)
>
> Subject: Tires
>
> Hay gang,
>
>    Does anyone know what type and size tires came on the pre 69
Morgan
> 4/4's, inparticular a 65 4/4.  I'm trying to get my car ready for a
> National AACA meet.  Today the local chapter had a judging for cars.
They