Re: queries from a new Morgan owner

To: arlin robins <arlin@slip.net>
Subject: Re: queries from a new Morgan owner
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 23:26:00 -0700
arlin robins wrote:

> Hello, fellow romantics & masochists-
>
>         As a first time Morgan owner I would love to have some
> advice/info/suggestions on the following:
>
>         1) Sources for Morganalia such as cloth & bullion embroidered
> Morgan wings and die-cast ("Matchbox" type) Morgans;
>         2) GOOD book(s) on Restoration/Repair;
>         3) Recommended methods for dealing with superficial (I hope)
> underbody (e.g. wings) and frame crossmember rust. Naval jelly &
> Rustoleum?
>         4) Retrofitting of bucket seats (maybe old TR-3, Alpine or ?) to
> replace my current/original bench seats.
>         5) The practicality/possibility of replacing the Moss box with a
> 5-speed transmission.
>
>         I'm sure many of you have experience and insight in these areas,
> and I would very much appreciate hearing your opinions.
>
>         Thanks!
>
>         Michael Jhon '61 Plus 4 Roadster
>         arlin@slip.netMichael-Welcome aboard!Some thoughts-
        1)Many places for regalia-try Cantab Motors @540-338-2211,Isis
Imports@415-433-1344, Morgan Spares@518-789-3877, and there are many
others-check the database on the Morgan home page.For diecasts, really
nice ones like Vitesse 1/43 are about $30(Exoticar
Models,617-267-8368)or, I have even gotten Morgans (Majorette brand)for
$1.00 at K-Mart-not great models, but for a buck...
        2)Best book IS Fred Sissons.$50 well spent.E-mail him at
FPS3@AOL.com and buy one now.There is some good advice in all Morgan
books-eventually, you'll probably wind up buying them all.Morgans are
like that.
        3)I'd stick with wire brush,sandpaper, and maybe one of the new
super"paint over rust" formulations I always see advertised in Hemmings
Motor News (you should get this,also,if you aren't already-great wish
book)
        4)I'm not much of a purist-I have the bench seat, and like it OK,
but get what YOU like.You'll drive it more, and enjoy it.Personally, I
like early TR2/TR3 or big Healey buckets, and think they look more
'period authentic' On the other hand, I personally know one guy who
installed GM six-way power operation under his Plus8 buckets.Pretty
comfortable,too.
        5)Hmmm..I know someone in Detroit who replaced the Moss box in
his Plus 8 (No,not the above guy)with a 5-speed borg-warner out of a
Buick Skyhawk.Other than losing the handbrake(no place to mount it)it
drives like a dream, and the overdrive fifth gear is great on long
drives.Doesn't sound like a job for the fainthearted,though.AND-ALWAYS
KEEP YOUR OLD PARTS.Frankly, unless the old box is really shot, I'd
probably live with it and double-clutch.
        You didn't indicate where you live, but I'd seek out the local
Morgan Club and join.Great source of advice, help, counsel, and
parts.Usually great social events, too.
        Enjoy!
                -Jeff Smith 1968 4/4