RE: The New Morgan will be different --

To: Simon Orebi Gann <simonog@avnet.co.uk>
Subject: RE: The New Morgan will be different --
From: "Gary L. Kneisley" <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:45:14 -0400
At 02:32 PM 7/20/97 +0100, you wrote:

>What's anti-submarining btw?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my presumption that in a
frontal crash your body tends to slide under the dash if not properly
restrained.  Sort of "sinking" under or "submarining".  In order for the
seat belts to hold you in place so the air bag can hit your chest rather
than your forehead, designers put a ridge across the front of the seat
effectively clamping ones body between the seat and the seatbelt pressure
during sudden stops (like hitting something hard).

Having been through a crash with an airbag going off in my face, I can
testify that they are good to have in a mass of machinery making a really
sudden stop.  But only if the seat belt is properly fastened.

Funny, air bags have been legislated because people would not use their seat
belts.  But they are not fully effective unless the seat belt is used too.

Buckle up!

Gary