The New Morgan will be different --

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The New Morgan will be different --
From: "Gary L. Kneisley" <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:59:57 -0400
Yesterday, I had a nice chat with Win Sharples at CANTAB, the east coast USA
Morgan Dealer, who told me of the changes going on at the Morgan factory....
significant changes in the new Morgans and significant changes in the
production procedure.  He sent me a copy of the press release he has sent to
many Morgan Clubs.  I thought I'd pass the highlights on to you here as they
are rather revolutionary, considering the history of Morgan.  I am sure
you'll hear more about it in the weeks ahead.

The air-bag issue has caused a re-examination of the basic structure of the
car in recent years.  And the new paint shop, located in its own building on
the factory site, allowed an adjustment of the sequence of construction.
The old paint area was located right in the middle of the factory, and that
area has now become the New Chassis Assembly Shop.

So, rather than laying up ten chassis' one day and working on them for a
week, they now will lay up two each day (with the potential room for three a
day).  Then they move to the New Chassis Assembly Shop where completely
paneled wood bodies from the wood shop and Sheet Metal Shop will meet them
from the other side.  Here they are joined together and wings and bonnets
fitted.

Aluminum Alloy, 1.6 mil thick, is now standard for all cowls and bonnets.
So too are alloy wings (steel wings have become an extra cost option I'm told.)

The assembled bodies then move to the new paint shop where they are mounted
to trollies, and run through four adjacent rooms... acid wash, sanding and
filling, priming and finishing.  It takes four days to go through the paint
shop, and they complete two cars a day (and maybe three some day.)

Sharples also indicated that they are offering incentives to dealers to keep
a full stock of spare parts on hand and that the  -- first in 89 years --
complete parts catalog is close at hand.,

In the new Morgan many body parts are stamped and a majority of the seventy
two wood body parts have been changed.  The new curved body shape will have
a better hood line, and longer door for better access.  A bit extra width in
the luggage area and more rearward seat adjustment length.

Significant changes in the seating with new anti-submarining bolstering for
the airbag cars, new tracks and locking, major revamped dash board with new
gauge and switch clustering, adjustable steering wheel, new crash test
standards for column, stainless steel exhaust, fuel pipes and scuttle roll
bar.  Polished stainless steel bumpers, integral-to-the-tank fuel pump, and
other stainless components to come in the future (like the bulkhead and
toolbox.)

Ten years ago they started eight new cars a week, and it took about 12 weeks
to complete the build.  In recent years they started 10 a week, and it took
8 weeks to build.  With the new system they are able to start two a day
(maybe someday they'll do three) and finish them in three weeks.  (Higher
production, faster thru-put, more profit and maybe better pricing?)

It still looks like a Morgan and according to Sharples, walking by you might
not even notice the differences.  Difference that are significant never the
less.   And I, for one, am looking forward to seeing them.

Thought you'd like to know.

Gary
1991 +8
Grafton, OH