Pittsburgh GP

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pittsburgh GP
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:07:49 -0400 (EDT)
Great weekend! Awsome machines!

Three trikes there- Dave Elcomb, Pete Olson & me. Also Carlton Shriver had
his 36, 100E powered 4/4 there. Great fun running such a dirverse group of
cars together. Whadda list!
Morgan F type
Miller Sprint car
Dryer Ford Sprint
Bugatti Type 35
BMW 328
Bugatti 37A
SS Jaguar 100
Dellow
Riley Brookland
Alfa 6C
Bently
Railton
2 Morgan SS JAP Trikes
a couple of 3/4 Crosley Midgets
a couple more sprint cars (Ford 239

My trike ran super- better than I expected, but not as good as I was credited
for! On the final posted qualifying grid, I was on the pole! Also, credited
with a new track record for pre-war!

I would like to believe that I had just one super-hot lap and that was the
one that they timed. I don't think so...... More likely they just goofed a
number and subtracted anywhere from 10 seconds to a minuite from my time. Or
they could have clicked on "the trike" and then again on "the trike"- timing
two cars. I don't know. It was fun though.

No way I wanted all that big stuff behind me at the start.  Instead, I grided
about midway with a godawful huge Bently beside me and a godawful big Railton
(Hudson-based) in front of me. My helmet was below those driver's butts!

Now I know why guys put video cameras in their cars- I don't remember much
about the race! I know I out braked the Bently at the chicane and never saw
him again. Dove under the Railton at the Westinghouse Pond hairpin & left
him. Diced with a MGTD (what was he doing there?) & finaly got by & left him.
Then I was alone most of the time. Later lapped the 33 trike of Elcomb, the
Dellow and Carlton Shriver's 4/4. No one passed me & that was the end of the
race! Jeezzze...

Trike handled like a dream- nice long controled high-speed drifts & easy to
scrub off speed by flinging out the rear and sliding in the corners
(remember- only front wheel brakes...). Engine was nice and crisp- never
missed a beat. Nothing even came loose!

Fellow Mogfloggers Randy Johnson and Lance Lipscomb accompanied us. Consumed
over 100 gallons of gasoline each way in my wife's 77 Suburban- down to 7+
MPG in the mountains. Probably ran another three gallons through the trike
during the weekend.

A wonderful event. Several racers had told me that this was the best event on
their calander from both a sepector and a participant point-of-view. Now I
know why...

fred sisson