Re: Ford Trans Shift Extender

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ford Trans Shift Extender
From: Joseph DeLuca <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:04:36 -0400
>>  Joe,
>>  Did you get the new shift extender installed?  Don't remember you telling us
>>  about it.  How do you like it?
>>  John

Hello John,

I sure did get the shifter installed.  Your memory is slipping.... I wrote to
you about it a couple of months ago. But that's OK,  I'll recap for you.

The shifter bolted on to the Cortina trans without a hitch, except that the
stickshift itself was positioned exactly under the wood of the dashboard.

The stick was about a foot long so this was an impossible situation.  As you
would expect, I cut the stick down to about four inches (a really short throw
indeed) and now my knuckles just clear the bottom edge of the dash.

It works great - much sportier.   One annoying defect is the reverse lockout
doesn't work at all and I constantly grind reverse when reaching for 2nd gear.
This is supposed to be prevented by a nylon blocker directly under the
stickshift, but the shifter is seated too high and misses the lockout edge.

I removed the nylon block and shaved it with a plane (a common tool for Morgan
repairs) and the situation improved greatly.  However, after several weeks it
slowly regressed, so I still get an occasional crunch.

It is infinitely preferable to the old shifter.  I've no regrets.

Regards,

Joe DeLuca
Sparta, NJ
'62 yellow 4/4