Re: flat rad (again)

To: William Zehringa <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>,
Subject: Re: flat rad (again)
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 98 22:02:03 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Will:
My two cents worth ( and you get what you pay for !)

There seems to be a whole fleet of Morgans in this flat rads class. I Know
of several which I have watched trade owners over the years. Some of the
buyers will add a piece toward the restoration while others will loose a
piece or two of the car . Each has hopes of a restoration and after it sits
for a long long time its sold to the next hopeful  owner.
Several years ago I  did one of these cars for a club member.  The car had
been shipped over from France and " was mostly there".  The owner brought it
to me to paint and do the final assembly having  had the engine " totally
rebuilt " and a New Wood frame installed . All I had to do was Paint and
assemble.
Well yes it did have all new wood unfortunately  the person who did the wood
was not familiar with Morgans and used PINE. ( the owner did not know the
difference)  Rather than tacking the panels to the wood silicone seal was
used to glue the wood to the skin . Additionally , having no idea of how the
fenders mounted to the body he left no room to mount the fenders.
As for the engine work, the engine was a TR but the mounts were fabricate to
fit the Morgan, unfortunately the mounts were off to the right by 2 inches
thus the bonnet would not fit .
The steering box was totally shot but since the car was never driven the
owner was not aware of its condition.  The story goes on and on right down
to the nice looking  key switch in a box which while looking very nice could
not be made to work on a Morgan even if the wiring harness was butchered.

What I guess I am trying to say is  don't measure a Morgan restorability by
how many of the major parts are there, measure it by the little stuff.
Given the choice, of two restoration projects one with a good chassis or one
with a complete dash,   I'd take the one with the good dash. A example is
the door for my DHC. The wood and sheet metal to fabricate them costs a lot
( whole lot) less than the hinges and latches. But most people would think
Oh the doors in great shape only needs a couple of hinges and a latch.
And then of course  there is  the Chuck Harris line of thinking . "Give him
nothing but a original factory radiator cap and he plan a restoration around
it   :)
 So good luck in your choice .

Bob Nogueira

> Date: Thursday, 28-May-98 09:24 AM
>
> From: William Zehring          \ Internet:    (zehrinwa@umdnj.edu)
> To:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: flat rad (again)
>
> Dear all:
>
> Some of you may remember I posted some inquiries into the prospects of
picking
> up a nearly completely disassembled flat rad (and again, NO, the car is
not in
> California).  I'd pretty much put it aside (in favor of spending my time
> repairing the house and devoting endless hours to cutting the grass), but
the
> car has 'resurfaced' and might be available for a deep dish price.
>
> Here's a bits and pieces (so to speak) description of the car:
>
> 1951 twin-spare flat-rad +4 roadster
> professionally rebuilt TR2 engine, with _NO_ miles
> Moss box (assumed to be in good condition... do they ever break?)
> frame either painted or ready to paint
> front end new/rebuilt and ready to attach to frame
> new rear wheel well metal
> new inner front wheel well metal
> new bonnet
> new Avons on either 16 or 17 inch disk wheels (I don't remember which)
> new wood (but needs final assembly... lots of time needed on this part)
> car appears to be complete, except for: doors, windshield, seats
> car has NO title
> some rust on front outer fenders, including a few holes (I'm not clear on
> details here)
> re-cored radiator, but not attached to chrome
>
> The reasons for selling the car are pretty benign; the owner's son (who
was
> handling the project) has been transferred to Europe, and the owner
himself is
> also moving out of state and has decided he doesn't have time to take up
where
> his kid left off.  He sold the car to an LBC mechanic that I know well and
> trust thoroughly.  The trick is, so my 'deep throat' reports, he sold it
to the
> mechanic for an absurdly low price, and the mechanic is now in a position
> sell, as is, for a slightly less absurd price (and profit the difference)
in a
> quick-time turn around, OR, spend hours on the dang thing and get it
closer to
> being a recognizable auto, for some less hallucinatory buyer (than myself?
).

.

> 3.      Are the doors the same on this Mog as on my '67 4/4?  Recollect
this
> car has _NO_ doors, so a template would be a much desired thing.  If I got
into
> this mess I would likely keep the 4/4 for an additional year or two while
> large proportion of the +4 gathered spider webs in the barn.
>
> 4.      Would it be heresy to vintage race a car like this?  Would I get
into
> "touble" with the incorrect engine?
>
> 5.      Lastly, but by no means leastly...  its likely to be this or a
very
> early (62) e-type coupe, if I'm going to 'shot the wad' on any project.
No