[Fwd: Will - flat rad (again)]

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Will - flat rad (again)]
From: "William E. Irwin" <cigrbill@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 23:07:25 -0400
--------------C77FF5885C38D78AB284F627

--

--------------C77FF5885C38D78AB284F627

Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:12:52 -0400
From: "William E. Irwin" <cigrbill@concentric.net>
To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Will - flat rad (again)

You sound as if you are asking if it would be practical to buy the flat-rad.
The
answer is "no."

Could you sell it for what you put into it?  Again the answer is no.  This
doesn't
matter because Morgan owners don't normally sell their cars.

Knowing this, in 1957, I bought a 52 Plus 4.  I tore it all apart and created
my own
basket case.  I bought a new frame from Don Simpkins and several  wood body
members
which required very minimal fitting.

Progress, slow but progress, was made every year.  I hope to have it running on
the
road this year.  I have almost $27,000 into the project counting the original
$5,000
I paid for the car.  I have new factory leather, Rutherford telescopic rear,
all new
chrome.  The above includes having a professional do all of the body work, first
class painting and necessary fabrication of various parts.

I will order some switches and knobs this weekend for $600 plus.  I still need a
hood tonneau, side screens and a steering wheel.  I think I still have the
original
tyres.  Do you have any ideas on a steering wheel.

I have no intention of showing the car.  I am just doing it for my own
satisfaction.  Its a Morgan and it will be a better car than when it left the
factory.

> 1.      This car _should_ have the Vanguard engine.  Doubtless it is much
>faster
> with the TR2 (with twin 1.75 inch SUs) than it would have been with the
> Vanguard (I'm not complaining about that), but does the absence of the
> "correct" engine influence its potential value when restored?  (It's my
> feeling, increasingly, that "proper" engine in a Mog is much less of a
> matter than it might be in another lbc).

As I said above, if you are worried about potential value, don't do it.  My
understanding is that anyone with a few bucks replaced their Vanguards when the
TR-2
came out.  In your case I think you will appreciate the increase in power a TR-2
will give you over the 4/4 (couldn't resist saying that to Will)

> 3.      Are the doors the same on this Mog as on my '67 4/4?  Recollect this
>car
> has _NO_ doors, so a template would be a much desired thing.  If I got into
> this mess I would likely keep the 4/4 for an additional year or two while a
> large proportion of the +4 gathered spider webs in the barn.

Doors are definitely not the same.  Don Simpkins, if he is still in business
could
fabricate the doors and skins for you.  I have a 4-seater and they are
different.
If you go ahead, someone on the list can give you the right dimensions.

> Am I just completely insane?
>
> You don't have to bother answering that last question...

Completely insane is not good, but in today's world, complete sanity isn't any
good
either.  The Morgan owners I know have just the right balance.  A friend down in
Cincinnati has a couple of Morgans and two Vipers.  I can understand the
Morgans but
you don't need two Vipers.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

If you want my practical advice, look for and buy a Flat-Rad that someone else
has
restored.  Let him put all the free labor into the project for you.  The average
person ever recovers the money he puts into a restoration.

I bought a 68 Plus 4 twelve years ago, in top condition, and drive it every day.
When I finish the 52, I'll give the 68 a face lift.  I'll let my heirs worry
about
getting my moneys  worth.

Cigar Bill in Indiana (for the summer)

--