RE: daylight running lights

To: "Morgans@autox.team.net"@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: daylight running lights
From: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:34:12 -0000
Hi there
            Chuck, you had me wondering at my senility suggesting I do not
know the difference between main & dipped beam (-:     Though Stuart.....
(fine Scottish name) , dug me out of the mire ! also M/cycle headlights are
usually  higher than cars and the new style ellipsoidal ? headlights with
their concentrated beams appear to amplify the dazzling possibilities.....
Perhaps you don`t have them in profusion on your side of the pond yet ?
enough to say that a car approaching over an undulating surface, equipped
with such lights gives the appearance of flashing his main beam .....Perhaps
not a prob in the Americas though in this country a flash of the headlights
can mean a few different things to another driver dependant on the
situation. i.e. a flash to a long vehicle when overtaken by such, is seen as
a sign that he is clear to cut back in and thus free up the overtaking lane
earlier than he might otherwise do, usually much appreciated by articulated
truck drivers and a flash of opposite indicators from him is a sign of
thanks.

Also more relevant in this context, is the flash of main beam from a vehicle
that has the right of way at a busy junction, this can be a signal to a
vehicle waiting to get from a side street, out into the main route that the
flashing driver is slowing to allow the side street vehicle to
proceed........

I guess it is easy to see where confusion can creep in with the daylight
running lights and the addition of the new ellipsoidal type h/lamp units on
bikes and cars..... ?

Of course the flashing of lamps is a driver behaviour kinda thing adopted by
many though not recognised by law in the case of an accident.....

I can understand that anyone who lives where the traffic is quiet will be
wondering what on earth I am ranting on about, where I live at times the
traffic can be real tight and fast in places and decisions to merge from a
side street on occasion have to be made very quickly, in fact too quickly to
be considered absolutely safe !  In my humble opinion a bright headlight
does not add greatly to that safety in all cases taking all things into
consideration (locally), I also would add that if everybody waited till it
was definitely safe to complete a manoeuvre....The rush hours would last all
day...... . On a personal basis I reiterate that I find it somewhat more
difficult to discern the approach speed of a bright light than an object of
definable outline....
 A wiser man than I said
"There are lies, Damned lies, and statistics".       (-:

All that said, I still feel safer in good daylight conditions to run with
lights off and  rely more on defensive driving/riding, good stout leather
gear with bright yellow and reflective patches, with armour in "various"
places, if the worst comes to the worst, and when driving as opposed to
riding, I wear a belt.

As ever I am happy to discuss in a friendly sort of way.

Cheers,   George

///
///