RE: daylight running lights

To: "'George Dow'" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: RE: daylight running lights
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:58:41 -0500
George,

Didn't mean to imply that you don't know the difference between high and low
beams.  The issue, though, (if memory serves me well) was using headlights
during the day.  In Canada, new cars have to have these and, with time, we
will see more and more cars with their headlights on during the day.

Clearly, contrast between headlights and the ambient conditions will be
greatest when it is dark.  If headlights bother you during the day, the
problem should be worse at night. Of course, if you don't at night, this
comparison will not be valid in your case.

It may also be the case that daytime running lights in city traffic won't do
much good; the traffic density will be too high.  Where I live, though, the
towns are few and far between (my home town is at the end of a highway, and
the nearest village is ~20 km away).  The roads are straight (often for tens
of kms), flat (no hills!) and mainly two-lane.  I live in a resort area East
of Winnipeg with lots of cottages and summer homes in the area.  On Friday
afternoons, there's a mad exodus from Winnipeg to "cottage country" and a
lot of overtaking.

I teach, part time, at a small college ~ 50 km South of Winnipeg and head
towards the city on Friday afternoons. Same thing: lots of overtaking by
oncoming traffic.  Under these conditions, daytime running lights definitely
make cars easier to see and to contemplate chosing the berm or ditch to
avoid a head-on collision.

Chuck (in the country)