Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

To: emog@lyris.dundee.net, Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
From: Jhalfdime@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:53:26 EDT
Gang,
    This past Saturday was British Car Day at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New
York's beautiful Hudson Valley.
    While the weather forecast was for constant rain throughout the day, the
meteorologists must have hit the wrong wedge on the weather dartboard (I'm
still convinced that weather forecasts are done with a single dart and a
dartboard which includes a myriad of possible weather scenarios) as most of
the day overcast skies ruled, although light mist and rain did occur
occasionally.  The most heard comment was,
"Not a problem...it's a perfectly normal British summer's day!"
    In spite of the weather prognostication, we did see among the forty or so
LBCs, four Moggies brave the elements.  There was the Aerodrome's own 1932
(?) MX-2 powered Sports 2 seater, Marc Wunderman's (ex-Henry Angel) 1934 JAP
engined Super Sport, Dick Williams arrived with his beautiful nearly new +8,
and Jim Nichol braved the elements, hood down, in his '64 +4 4 place.  Though
Morganless, Larry, Linda, and Katie Eckler made it in from Ancram in Linda's
newly acquired Austin Mini (In deference to wee Katie, no doubt!).
    Jim Hare, the Aerodrome Curator, did his best to put together a brief
show considering the low ceiling, and we were privileged to see the oldest
flying aircraft in the U. S. (and reputed to be 2nd oldest flying machine in
the world), a 1909 Bleriot XI as well as the Aerodrome's Curtiss replica
(with original engine) both hop down the field.
    Marc Wunderman's Super Sport was the winner of the popular vote for the
Morgan's of New England Trophy and he and Scott Mackenzie in the Aerodrome's
Sport two seater proceded to race down the runway's access road to the
delight of all present.
    May the 2003 British Car Day bring better weather for all!
    Thanks to Dick Williams for photos which I've sent on to Tcherek to
include in the eMOG and sMOG This archives..
C & HM,
    Jim