Re: Areas of concern on a Morgan Chassis.

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Areas of concern on a Morgan Chassis.
From: Mrgn914@cs.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:04:48 EDT
Gents,
The Morgan chassis is a bit of a flexible affair as we know and the years and
corrosion do not improve it either.  I cannot say what the factory does these
days to improve replacement chassis although the ones they use on new cars
are glavanized and have some additional gussets where the toeboard meet the
chassis from I can tell.
I have built 3 of my own Morgan replica chassis to use in cars that I have
restored for myself as well as others.  The first thing is to go up one gauge
from what the factory uses and I know that those who have offered replica
chassis in the US do this as a matter of course. The original material that
the factory uses measured between two gauges common in the US. I have also
added an additional plate welded below the axle dip to the outside of the
chassis.  This helps keep the chassis from "kicking up" at the rear.something
they often do.  I might caution that if yours is cracked below the axle it
may be that the springs are too arched thus causing the axle to bottom on the
flange.
A good replica with a thicker gauge and an extra gusset at the toe board and
maybe one below the axle would be worth investigating.  Actually they aren't
to difficult to build yourself if you are handy.
cheers,
S. Stierman 69 Plus 8