Battery

To: <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Battery
From: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:37:00 +0100
Hi There
            It is some time since I contributed on Autox and had forgotten
how it works, I clicked on reply, instead of addressing my mumblings to the
group...... In the off chance that you folk have any interest on this
subject I have taken the liberty of copying what I typed to Mike, below.
Seems my thinking and Williams run close together, other than I suspect
a lead acid battery can be substituted with no real problem if  installed
and
maintained well. I had typed prior to having the benefit of Williams input.

Cheers,   George

             I should think it is a simple matter to find a battery that
will do the task...... If you specified a battery for a 98 +8...... It may
be possible that your, "would be" supplier is correct, in that a battery to
that exact specification is not readily available..... I think that either
Morgan or Bill Fink, fit marine batteries to Morgans in the States, not only
are they marine but they are also I believe "gel" batteries....... Thus they
are indeed special batteries and not likely to be an off the shelf item at
auto stores, though perhaps at a marina.......?

I suspect they use such batteries in order to avoid the ECU (computer)
loosing power during long lay up`s, for this can  at times require a trip to
a dealer to reset the programme as it may revert to "factory settings" if it
is deprived of power.......... I`m not entirely sure that your ECU will be
affected in this way.

A marine (boat) battery will hold it`s charge for much longer during periods
of non usage.

You can run your +8 on an ordinary lead acid battery if you look after it
and keep it maintained properly....... other than the physical size of the
battery and the post configuration the next important thing is the
"capacity" of the battery ..... Capacity is measured in ampere hours....
more is better........ look at your old battery and you should see a little
label that tells you how many AH the battery is.....could be 60AH or there
abouts...... If you can only get a 80 AH locally that fits in every other
way....... No problem, like I typed more is better, other than it will be a
little heavier and perhaps a little more expensive than a 60.

A lead acid battery will be cheaper, though a lead acid marine battery will
be more expensive, and a gel battery more expensive again, and a marine
gel battery more expensive still....... Apparently if you allow a gel
battery to run flat...... it`s scrap as it can not be recharged. I believe
the advantage of gel is that they are much smaller and lighter...... So it
seems that a lead acid battery of the same AH will require modification to
the battery to car clamping...... My battery lives next to the axle where
there is loads of room for modification to fit most types of batteries.

Me ?  I run a standard car lead acid battery in my +8....... I ain`t got no

If you want any more info just shout...... There is lots of "stuff" on
www.gomog.com  worth a visit if you ain`t been there...