RE: [oletrucks] VIN plate question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] VIN plate question
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:52:21 -0800
Here's a VIN number problem that I visited on myself but hopelfully someone
here in Wahington will have some suggestions. Shortly after I bought my
3800 in 1972 I pulled the motor out of another AD pickup I owned and
swapped it with the motor in the 3800. At that time the VIN number on the
title was the same as the engine. I checked when I bought it. Well, the
years went by and I didn't think much about it, got new license plates and
a coresponding new title (still with the engine number as the ID number).
The truck I swapped motors with is long since gone. So now I'm told by the
license agent that the state doesn't use engine numbers anymore but vin
numbers so there's no longer a form  to fill out for an engine change. So
now the only thing that matches my title are the plates. What to do now? Im
afraid to open the can of worms that will surely result by going to the
State Patrol since I can no longer prove that that plate number ever really
belonged to that truck. I'm concerned now that someone will check the vin
number against the registration and confiscate the truck then and there.
How can I prove that I've owned anything other than the plates and title
since 1972.

Worried in Seattle

Tom Allen

Tom Allen