Re: [oletrucks] TF Master cylinder/ front clip

To: "oletrucks chevy" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF Master cylinder/ front clip
From: "Lewis Osborn" <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:29:33 -0800
From: derrick gray <dgray_98_doc@yahoo.com>

>Hey guys,
>  Should  I have to pump the brakes 3 or 4 times every time I stop.

No.

>Once I pump it, it gets a good firm pedal with lots of pedal.  If I
>don't pump it, it almost goes to the floor before it gets firm.  Is
>this a sign that I need to rebuild the master cylinder or is this
>normal for these old trucks?  Also, why is it that we hear so much

The first thing to do is adjust your brakes.  With drum brakes, the
shoes return to their original position every time the pedal is
released.  As they wear, the distance between the shoes and the drum
increases, requiring more travel to make contact.  Newer vehicles with
drum brakes have automatic adjusters to compensate for this, but on the
oldies, the adjustment is done by hand, by sticking a tool similar to a
flat screwdriver though a slot in the backing plate to turn the star nut
on the adjuster.  My Dad showed me how to do it, but there must be
pictures in repair manuals.  If you romove a brake drum and take a look,
it'll be fairly obvious.

Lewis - K7LVO Valley of the Rogue-Medford, OR
"The Forty" - 40 Chevy PU - One Owner
http://www.teleport.com/~losborn/1940.html