Re: [oletrucks] throttle cable

To: "craig k" <soundex@eden.com>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] throttle cable
From: "Carlos F. Madero" <amigos@esn.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 99 21:04:47 PST
Your note on the throttle cable reminded me of a trick I learned years ago on
renewing choke and throttle cables.  I went to the store and bought two
"universal" replacement choke cables.  I pulled the inside cable completely out
and cut it right where it joins the shaft.  Did the same operation with the old
cable (I think I actually had to cut a tiny piece of the end of the shaft).
Then drilled a tiny hole in the end of the old shaft just big enough to put the
new cable in.  One can crimp it or solder it (I think I soldered mine).  Then I
took the new wound-wire outside sheath and cut it right where it joins the
mounting tube.  Did the same with my original cable and then joined the two.
But you are right, I had to heavily modify a mount to use the choke cable, and
the throttle cable I have not even installed.  But after three years, my
new/old choke cable is still working great.

Carlos Madero
'53 5 window-out-of-comission-waiting-for-new-king-pins-and-bushings