Re: [oletrucks] Frenching & Shaving

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, JHagen <jhagen@media-net.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Frenching & Shaving
From: Alan Gingles <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:34:21 -0700
JHagen wrote:

> I have noticed in a couple of Magazines the terms "Frenching" and Shaving.
> I can tell the difference in the headlights and in the door handles, but I
> was wondering exactly what the process involves.
>
> Classic Truck Freshman in Training
> Jody Hagen
> 50 3100

Hi Jody,

        Those terms date back to the 40's and 50's. A frenched headlight has
the original trim ring either welded on and molded in to the fender, or
one from a different car used. The process is fairly involved. I did
those things to my '48, you can see it on my website.
        To french a headlight, you have to take the headlight bucket off the
fender, reverse the clips on the fenders that hold the screws for the
bucket, then replace the bucket, but from the inside of the fender. This
allows the headlight ring to lie flush with the fender for welding and
molding. This also allows you to be able to change a blown bulb,
although it is time consuming. I had to replace one this past
weekend...jack up the truck, remove the tire, remove the bucket from the
back of the fender and replace the bulb! WHEW!!
        Shaving involves the removal of the offending trim/handle, then filling
the resultant holes and finishing to a smooth surface. People shave
things like stock trim, nameplates, door and trunk handles, etc. I
shaved the door handles from my '48, and used electric door lock
solenoids with hidden switches to open them.
        I hope this helps clear things up a bit for you. You can see the pics
of my truck on my website, and if you have any other questions, feel
free to ask! Myself, or any one of the knowedgable list members will be
glad to help.

Alan Gingles
1948 Chevy 1314
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles