Re: [oletrucks] Help! Power steering gremlin

To: cafe_dave@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Help! Power steering gremlin
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:49:23 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/99 8:38:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cafe_dave@hotmail.com writes:

<< Hi all,

 My '50 is running and really close to being back on the road.  Trouble is
the steering.  I've got the Must. II power rack and a remote reservoir
steering pump from a (gulp!) N*ss*an 200sx.  The pump was chosen for
compactness of size and the fact that it was also driving a rack and pinion.
The problem I'm having is that when trying to bleed the air from the system
the wheel jerks immediately from my hands and jerks back and forth on its own
(it's possessed!) until I am, with great effort, able to stop it.  To bleed
the air I'm supposed to turn the wheels slowly back and forth with the engine
running but this jerking gremlin is making that quite impossible.  Does
anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this?  I'm power steering
illiterate so I'm completely baffled.  Thanks all.

 Dave Riff >>

  Dave,

  When I called GM about bleeding the rack on my Mom's Buick, after replacing
it, they told ne to go side to side until all air was out, with the motor NOT
running.
  Should still hold tru for you as well??

  Mike