[oletrucks] Help! Power steering gremlin

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Help! Power steering gremlin
From: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:29:06 PDT
Hi all,

My '50 is running and really close to being back on the road.  Trouble is the
steering.  I've got the Must. II power rack and a remote reservoir steering
pump from a (gulp!) N*ss*an 200sx.  The pump was chosen for compactness of size
and the fact that it was also driving a rack and pinion.  The problem I'm
having is that when trying to bleed the air from the system the wheel jerks
immediately from my hands and jerks back and forth on its own (it's possessed!)
until I am, with great effort, able to stop it.  To bleed the air I'm supposed
to turn the wheels slowly back and forth with the engine running but this
jerking gremlin is making that quite impossible.  Does anyone have any clues as
to what might be causing this?  I'm power steering illiterate so I'm completely
baffled.  Thanks all.

Dave Riffel