[oletrucks] WD-40 VS. PROPANE

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] WD-40 VS. PROPANE
From: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:20:24 -0700
After all the messages about WD-40 vs. propane for locating manifold leaks,
I feel compelled to add the following information.  While WD-40 may be less
of a safety hazard under the hood of a truck, it is certainly very volatile.
The FBI Bomb Data Center issued a notice to all Bomb Techicians about 2
years ago concerning several accidents that occured while using WD-40 around
explosives.

Reason:  THE PROPELLANT THAT EXPELS WD-40 FROM THE CAN IS PROPANE.

Spraying with the can upside down will give you a squirt of pure propellant.
Propane is also heavier than air, which causes it to pool in low areas with
poor ventilation.

That being said, I (like everyone I know) use it all the time for a million
things.  The lubricant certainly reduces the ignitability to some extent.
But don't think for a minute that you are avoiding propane by using WD-40.

Down from the Bomb Disposal Soapbox,

Mike Snow
1953 3100