Re: [oletrucks] 350 or 305

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350 or 305
From: CyrusR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:25:35 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/99 10:02:50 PM Central Daylight Time, ace0027@ibm.net
writes:

> I need a little help. I bought a 350 from a 79 Camaro, and was happy
>  till a buddy stopped by and said "Your putting a 305 in Ace!?"
>      First of all I don't think he could be sure of what it is setting
>  across the shop from it, but it did get me worried all the same.
>
>      I've gone through my books and found nothing, but then my newest
>  stops at '70 so.... I also went to the page referred by the org. web
>  site, but found nothing there either. So...=) if anybody cares to give
>  me a hand, heres the number:
>
>      I always use the stamped # on the front of the deck, so thats what
>  this is.
>
>  VO328DRA
>  directly below
>  19CI61113
>
>  Much thanks in advance,
>  Terry & Ace

Terry,
It's getting kinda hard to find someone with the book that can decipher the
number stamped on the front of a block, and it will give you a lot more
information if you can find it, but the casting number on the back will at
least give you the type of engine that it is.  The casting number is located
on the area back by the distributer, below the head, just in front of the
area where the bell housing would mount.  Here's a site that probably has a
listing for yours:
 <A HREF="http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm";>MorTec, Inc. Chevy Smallblock
V-8 Casting Numbers List
</A>